Hollenback Community Garden – Meeting Agenda Sept 18, 2019
- What would you like to do at Harvest Fest? NOTES: Peter to take pizza orders, Emily on Store or Kids Activity, Josh to bring books, Claire Mike camping
At the End Today:
Saturday’s “talk” is Strategies for Dealing with Plant Fungus and Blight by Rose NOTES: Talk actually will be called Hearbreak Cucurbitate
- Wed. Sept. 18, Garden Meeting, 6:30-8 p.m. at Garden
- Sat., Sept. 21: Garden Workday, 11 a.m.-3 p.m. at Garden
- Sat., Sept. 28: HARVEST FEST 11 a.m.-3 p.m. at Garden
- Sat., Oct. 19: Garden Meeting & Workday, 11 a.m.-3 p.m. at Garden
- Sat, Nov. 16: Closing Workday, 11 a.m.-3 p.m. at Garden
Operations Committee Update:
- Workday Goals include:
- Paint sign for Front Gate: Open Hours Sat/Sun 10 a.m.-4 p.m.
- Get us ready for Harvest Fest! Clean grills, put up signs, etc.
—need someone to post fliers around neighborhood & chalk sidewalk, plant succulents, rewrap loose smudge sticks, package seeds
- Add web address to metal sign on gate. Tape is in compost toilet. www.hollenbackcommunitygarden.org
- Rake welcome garden and clean out dead stuff, prune milkweed
- Paint tool handles red; sweep out and organize the back shed.
- Help make path accessible for next week’s event—clear main path, remove weeds & cut back and/or tie stragglers, dead branches
- NOTES: Barak says everyone must clean up the paths between their plots and make sure it’s passable with no vines.
- Requirements are: Bylaws/Dues/ 3 Meetings/ 3 Workdays/ 4 Open Hours.
- There are only 2 Meeting credits and 4 Workday credits left. Check your tally! https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1M_IvsVcLi0gcmF7_NvozVk7VGPFpf3weKbMyzqSLRLA/edit?usp=sharing
- Open Hours weekend pilot is going great; all 2-hour sessions count!
- Open Hours task list now posted on the compost toilet door; do what you can.
- A list of members contact information is now available for all gardeners.
- If you haven’t paid your dues, they’re PAST DUE $10-50.
- Receipts to Robert M. for reimbursement! NOTES: Josh says he’d like receipts, Frank M. says he has a book of carbon receipts he can donate. Alisha asks Y to put a Donate Now button on the website.
Events Committee Update
- Harvest Fest is scheduled for Saturday, September 28th. All hands needed for our annual fundraising event! We’ll need as many volunteers as possible, please sign up; all get a workday credit. Flexible hours—early & late shifts available
- Raffle tickets are available now $1 per ticket, see Alisha at the meeting or workday. If you can help sell raffle tickets in advance—let us know
A book & bake sale in the front, county fair style competitions, and much more. Who can bake something? Please sign up & invite friends, neighbors, family
- Go thru your shelves now and bring books for Harvest Fest! Extras to NYPL.
- Heather and Radie, let’s check the bin in compost toilet for supplies for our Kids Activity for the workday. Who else can help with this?
- “State Fair” contest: blue ribbons for preserves, produce and pickles, baked goods using 1 ingredient from the garden. Please participate! We’ve got some great judges. Judging is at 12:30pm, will move baked goods out front to sell after NOTES: Judges include Ben from Brooklyn Grange, Sawdayah from BQLT, Suzanne Debrango from Block Association, and Sen. Velmanette Montgomery
- We’ll have a Sept 21 Workday BBQ with roasted corn and BBQ chicken–bring anything else you’d like grilled. Also, Winnie and Tara will set up a ‘smoker’ grill to smoke fish under cherry and hickory chips. Anyone want to smoke anything?
- NOTES: Alisha putting fliers in Compost Toilet for people to hang up, she also sent email version for people to post on their social media. Please put up fliers around neighborhood, need someone to pass out small fliers at Saturday Farmer’s Market, and to chalk it up (let’s do this on Sept 21st as well). Josh suggests putting flier at gate of Pratt University. There will also be face painting, Eric will donate a tablecloth, paper plates and cups
NOTES: Frank M., Mike M., and Winnie M planning an October 19th Workday Cooking Demonstration, the results of which will then become lunch. Community is welcome.
- It’s almost time for Steering Committee elections. We’ll need to elect: A new president or 2 co-presidents; a new Treasurer, 1 new Ops person; 1 new Membership person; 1 or 2 Events people; and a new BQLT Rep. Let’s put forward some names now, nominate people in October, and vote on the incoming Steering Committee in November, so new folks are ready to go next Spring. NOTES: Y says please send this out via Listserve. WM will do that. Current potential nomineeds include Deema and Y for co-presidents, Ernesto for Ops, maybe Danielle F. for Membership, need Treasurer, Events, maybe Tara for BQLT Rep.
- If you have a problem or issue, please first try to get it resolved by writing the Steering Committee directly at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Our Facebook page is https://www.facebook.com/hollenbackcommunitygarden/
- https://www.instagram.com/explore/locations/31094141/hollenback-community-garden/ is our Instagram page.
- Our website is https://hollenbackgarden.wordpress.com/
- August Meeting Minutes are located on our website at https://hollenbackgarden.wordpress.com/2019/08/30/hollenback-community-garden-meeting-agenda-august-17-2019/