Wed., July 18: Garden Meeting, 6:30 pm at Garden
Sat., July 14th BQLT Open Gardens Day 11-3 (Get Open Hours credit)
Sat., July 21: Garden Workday, 11 am-3 pm at Garden
Sat., Aug. 18: Garden Meeting & Workday, 11 am-3 pm at Garden
Wed., Sept. 12: Garden Meeting, 6:30 pm at Garden
Sat., Sept. 15: Garden Workday, 11 am-3 pm at Garden
Sat., Oct. 20: Garden Meeting & Workday, 11 am-3 pm at Garden
Sat., Nov. 10: Closing Workday, 11 am-3 pm at Garden
Workday priorities: Fix the compost toilet; repair broken beds; install bat house; trellis for the grapevine, plant flower bed area by hose; fix hose.
Sign painting: supplies in the back of the garden to paint plot signs
Remove the barberry in woodland shade garden
Thanks to Ernesto for sanding and finishing benches; they look great!
Apprentices needed to help run welcome garden, kids garden, Jane’s woodland shade garden and to water & weed Margaret’s plot
June 15th is the cutoff for joining garden/ planting your plot
Check your status: Shana and Tara sent a link, track your requirements.
Pay dues on a sliding scale ($10-50, cash or PayPal), to Robert by June 15th
The current balance of our account is approximately $4,700.
Today’s educational talks + plot tours: What to plant and when (Sara S.) and tips for growing tomatoes (Barak)
Use the sandwich board to welcome people into garden during open hours
Does anyone have a projector for a fall movie night?
Coffee and donuts community events in August + full moon garden BBQ
Open Gardens Day June 14: BBQ, rock-painting, tours, & weeding
June is Greenthumb’s Music in the Gardens Month; who wants to play?
Compost Committee: Volunteers, see Peter Ross.
4 ppl needed for workday to clear out behind compost bins
Dairy, meat, oily foods, invasive plants, thorny plants, large seeds (i.e. avocado, mango, jackfruit) go in brown city compost bins
Water Committee: Volunteers, see Miles Lightbody
Put half a dunk ring in each water barrel—helps keeps mosquitoes out. If you get a dunk ring in your watering can, return it to the barrel.
Always close the barrels tightly to prevent mosquitoes breeding
We’ll fix hose today and keep it turned on for the rest of the summer
Help Classon/Fulgate Garden (474 Classon Ave, btw Gates & Putnam) on their workday, Saturday, June 23, from 9am-1pm.
Greene Garden (2 S Portland Ave, entrance on Dekalb) will need help
Intros by all attendees and a little bit about what’s growing in everyone’s plots.
Reviewed membership requirements: dues/3 meetings/3 workdays/4 open hours
Schedule reviewed: see meeting agenda and website
1. today’s workday priorities list for completion after today’s meeting
Ongoing: welcome garden care, watering as needed
1. apprentices are needed to help with welcome garden, kids garden, woodland shade garden, vacations, water and weeding
2. June 15 is the cutoff for joining and garden planting your plot
3. Check you status with link – track your requirements
If you are going on vacation, email membership to find help.
Pay dues on a sliding scale by June 15
Current balance of HCG is about $4,700
– Thanks to everyone for filling out survey
– There is an educational talk after this meeting
– Found a projector for fall movie night. Still deciding on a movie.
– Open Garden Day – July 14: BBQ, rock-painting, tours, weeding, kids ideas needed
– June is Greenthumb’s Music in the Gardens Month. If anyone wants to play – Jazz in June in many gardens.
-community garden documentary airing
BBQ August 24
We will write on the Sandwich Board a Welcome message to the community as a way of bringing more community members to the garden.
We will service coffee and donuts on Saturday mornings – from 9-11 ?
– put a half dunk ring in each water barrel for mosquitoes
– close barrels after use to prevent mosquitoes
– hose will be fixed and on for the summer
– Help needed in other Gardens
Classon/Fulgate Garden on their work-day June 23 9-1
Greene Garden (S Portland Ave at DeKalb)
* * * *
Fort Greene Farmers Market has 2 for 1 plants available.
Hollenback Community Garden – Meeting Agenda June 9, 2018